Accidents in the work place can happen any time. In particular, bone fractures can occur with a fall or sudden blow to one’s limb. The following are signs and symptoms of broken bone:
- Swelling or bruising over the bone
- Deformity of an arm or leg
- Pain in the injured area especially when the area is moved or pressure is applied
- No function in the injured area
- If fractures are open, the bone protrudes from skin
Pathological fractures are caused by disease, such as cancer, which can weaken bones with little or no trauma. Osteoporosis, a disorder that causes bones to get thinner and weaker with age, causes 1.5 million fractures each year in the US, particularly in the hip, wrist, and spine.
*If someone has a fractured bone, this is a medical emergency.